Thursday, November 12, 2009

Writing games

We are taking a break the rest of this month from our "normal" language arts and playing some writing games.  The cranberry poems was our first break.  Yesterday, I had them make a list of 3 wishes they would make if they found a real wishing well.  That didn't turn out like I expected (Pokemon becoming real, being an NFL player...)  Today, we played a fun game that a friend of mine did with her 2nd grader and it was fun (for me and both boys.)  We took turns writing part of a story - the catch is, we can only write as many words as we roll on a die.  It was tough not to finish a sentence, or see a sentence we started not finish the way we had planned.  Here are our creations.  I will put my words in italics so you can see who wrote what.  (I gave them the titles.)


Alex's story "When I Was in the Woods"


I took a walk in the woods.  I saw a big, juicy, fat, delicious, scrumptious, awesome, appleIt had a salamander in itI wanted itI picked the apple to cut.  But I saved the salamander.  "I will keep you in a box."  I said.  And we went on homeThe end.


Nicolas's story "The Day a Monster Visited Us"


One day, a green dog was on a bike.  He rode to my houseHe loved me but a monster came.  The monster thought my dog looked bad, really bad.  "A pickle?"  "NO!"  "A cat?"  The dog barked.  "A male?"  "rrrr"  "A dog?"  "Yes."  The monster was hungry so was the dogHe barkedI fed the monster.  He barkedThe dog ate corn...


They have both asked if we can do this again next time.  Maybe I can get them to stop arguing long enough to do one all together.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment