Thursday, April 2, 2009

Patience update

Okay, so at the beginning of the year, I was challenged to choose a word to focus on for 2009.  I chose the word patience not realizing how difficult it would be.  (When the Lord wants to teach you something that you don't have a good handle on - it is painful to learn.)  So, my plan was to take a notebook to journal in about the lessons I have learned about my word.  I did a few entries and it fell by the wayside, so I felt like I had failed my challenge.  But I chose a word, and God is determined to teach me whether I am journaling or not. 


Back in November, our ladies group at church began a book Finding God's Path Through Your Trials by Elizabeth George.  We began the study with James 1:1 and focused on counting it ALL joy (not 99%, but 100% joy) when you have a trial.  Okay, I have been blessed and don't have the HARD trials that others have that are suffering illnesses or deaths of loved ones.  But, I have my trials and I learned that I should not compare my trials with others.  My trials are important to me, even if it is the day to day stuff of bringing up to stubborn boys. 


About the same time I stopped journaling on my own about patience (February), our Bible study got to the verse James 1:3 - the testing of your faith produces patience.  So, every trial is teaching me patience.  Then began a study of Hebrews 11 and how each of those people's faith was tested through a trial. 


Throughout the past couple of months, I have "fallen" into some trials.  January, we remodeled a new house to move into.  During the course of remodeling, our water froze pushing back the bathroom remodel.  February, we moved into a new home in the midst of tax season.  We are still trying to sell our old house and trying to keep bills up for 2 places.  We are still trying to get our clients tax returns completed.  I deal with homeschooling every day and the trial that go along with that.  In March, I had carpal tunnel surgery on my right hand.  And finally today, after looking forward to getting my stitches out, I find out my doctor is not in the office on Thursdays so I have to wait until Monday to start my recovery.  Trials.


So, here are some truths I have gained from our Bible study so far.  James 1:3 in the NLT "When the way is rough, your patience has a chance to grow."  In defining patience, we came up with "refusing to be provoked or angered", "calmly tolerating", and "bearing trials without murmuring".  James 1:4 "Patience must finish it's work so that you may be mature & complete- not lacking anything."  So, I need to look at the end result of these trials - completeness.  The only way to get through a trial is to go THROUGH it - not around it, or avoiding it.  So the main lesson I went away with last night from Bible study was:


As I deal with a trial, I need to refuse to be provoked, calmly tolerate it and bear it without murmuring.  To summarize:  DON'T REACT.  I struggle with reacting when I'm schooling the boys and they are trying my patience.  I decided to put up sticky notes throughout the house where I generally "react" - mainly the school room - that say DON'T REACT.


So, even though I have failed my journaling, God is teaching me patience.  I am learning and I just wanted to share.  I am excited to see what else I will learn through this Bible study.  And I guess my blog is now becoming my journal.

1 comment:

  1. I love your post. Most people will say "never pray for patience." These people give the impression that you should avoid this because God is going to just slam you for your prayer. Your post has showed that our loving Father can and will guide us through our trials. I love how you have dug into Gods' Word. You have simplified the whole patience thing. This is such an encouragement. Thanks!


    Blessings,

    Sarah R.

    ReplyDelete