Wednesday, January 7, 2009

A Semi-Typical Day at the Small House

Some people think it's interesting to read what other families do during the day.  So, I am posting our play-by-play of our first day back to school for this semester.  I labeled this "semi-typical" because next week we will begin unit studies again.  This week is just a "get-back-into-the-routine" week. 


6:00  Ryan's up


6:30 Ryan leaves to workout before work


8:20 Jodi and boys are up


8:25 I check e-mail, homeschool forum and facebook while the boys get dressed and play in their rooms


9:00  Boys get their cereal


9:05  I make myself scrambled eggs and eat breakfast


9:15  I shower/get dressed/make my bed/brush my teeth and put on make-up while the boys play some more


9:35  I am ready for school


9:40 The boys are ready for school.  We do our Bible lesson.  We started a new book by Kay Arthur - How to Study the Bible for Kids .  The boys enjoy it because it is written as if they are detectives.  (We will be studying detectives later this month.)


10:00 Nicolas does his math and Alex reads.  He is starting a biography of Babe Ruth.  While they are working, I empty and reload the dishwasher, start the dishwasher and clean up the kitchen.


10:20  Alex is done reading.


10:25 Nicolas is done with math.  They are both on a short break.  I begin this blog entry and check e-mail again.


10:45 Start Alex in his math.  Takes a lot of review for him to remember multiplication and division.   


11:00 Listen to Nicolas read aloud from Aesop's Fables (A Beka book)


11:15  Nicolas finishes reading and I head back in to a complaining "I can't do this" Alex and his math work.  Get Nicolas started in his phonics book.


11:30  Alex finishes his math and begins his spelling.  I sit down to post on my blog while I listen to Nicolas asking/whining "Why do I have to do two pages?"  Thinking about what we could have for lunch.


12:00 Warm up leftovers for lunch. 


12:15 Boys finish lunch and go to their rooms to play.


12:20 I finish lunch/clean up and fold towels from yesterday's laundry. 


 12:30 On computer - AGAIN! 


12:50 Artist study - Monet.  School is finished for today.


 1:15  Boys are painting an impressionistic painting like Monet with sponges.  (Will try to post pictures later).


 1:40  When they were done, they wanted to paint another picture.  I visited with Ryan while he was home for lunch.  Also, I looked at my lesson plans for co-op on Monday to make sure I don't have to buy anything while I'm at the store.


2:20  Heading out to the grocery store.  (with the kids - which I H-A-T-E to do - They hate to have to go, also.)


 4:00 FINALLY home!!  Put groceries away and chill out for a little while.


 4:30  Started some laundry/decided what was for supper - spaghetti


4:45  Turned off all appliances in the house while we had some sort of power surge.  SCARY!  I thought it was just us and only 1/2 the appliances and lights were going off and the other 1/2 stayed on.  I was scared that we had an electrical shortage in the attic and we would be having a fire - so I called Ryan and told him he needed to come home NOW and why.  He said the same thing happened there at work (on the other side of town.)  That's a relief, but I had to restart several things.


4:55 Took the boys to the neighbor friend's church.  Their kid's program runs 5-6pm and they serve them supper.  That gives me some quiet time.


5:10 Heading off to make supper


 5:30  Ryan is home and we eat supper (without the boys!!)


5:50  Ryan leaves to put gas in my van and get bread


5:55  I go pick the boys up from church


6:15  I go to our ladies Bible study at our church - Finding God's Path Through Your Trials while the "guys" stay home.  They will be finishing the laundry (it's all the boys' anyway), and Ryan will make sure they both have showers.


 9:00 I return home.  Nicolas still needs his shower.  We will get them to bed about 9:30.  Then we will play a game of golf on the Wii and head to bed ourselves.  We will probably both read for awhile, since we always do, and get our lights out about 10:30, more or less.


Hope you haven't been too bored with this account.  This is pretty typical for us

2 comments:

  1. YAY, Jodi! I'll be popping back in later, I love it! Thanks for mentioning this on the boards...I don't think I remember seeing your blog before. :)


    What ages would you say that Bible Study book is geared for? I cannot seem to find Bible study books that I like!


    Thanks for sharing!

    Candace

    www.candacemercyisnew.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I enjoy reading what everyone is doing. It's nice to know you're not the only one when this or that happens. Know what I mean?

    Edwena from HSS

    http://edwena-onlyonelife.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete