Friday, December 14, 2007

Finishing off our Christmas studies

Today is the last day of school for us for 3 weeks.  I'm not sure who's more excited, me or them.  


On Tuesday, we studied the different colors of Christmas and the meanings behind each color.


Green - We see in Christmas trees and wreaths and it symbolizes life.


White - We see in snow (although not everyone sees snow), Santa's beard and angels.  White symbolizes purity and perfectness.  Also, light from candles symbolizes the light we must spread into the world by telling others about Jesus.


Red - We see in Santa's suit, holly berries, and poinsettias.  Red symbolizes the blood that Jesus shed on the cross.  Without His birth, we would not have the cross.


Gold - We see in stars, bells, lots of decorations.  Gold is the most precious metal, just as Jesus is the most precious gift.  Gold reminds us of the gifts that Jesus received from the magi and the star that led them to Bethlehem.


The boys each sewed their own star and we framed them.  They both did very well at sewing and had fun doing it.




Then Thursday, we talked more about the nativity story and read a couple of books about the first Christmas.  I found a picture online with Mary and Jesus and it looked very "stained glass".  I had the boys color them with crayon (I also couldn't resist and colored my own.)  Then we wiped the pictures with vegetable oil and let them dry.  I purchased red mattes that we taped the pictures into and attached a hanger.  We have hung them on the windows for the stained glass look.  The pictures I took look like the mattes are black because of the light from the windows.



Alex's



Nicolas's


Today we are talking about the real St. Nicholas and the different Santa's of the world.  Then our official Christmas break begins.  I plan to start my Christmas baking this afternoon and then tomorrow afternoon when the boys are at the Christmas party for church.

No comments:

Post a Comment