Monday, January 14, 2008

Wonderous quiet time

After having trouble for awhile to find a time for my devotions, I decided that it was time I instituted quiet time in our house when everyone would have their chance to be with the Lord.  today was the first time.  Granted, we have had "quiet time" in our house before, but it usually ended up with the boys playing in their rooms (usually together) to give me a chance to catch up on computer work, housework, supper, etc.  Today I stated the rules:


10 minutes for devotions - Alex reads his Bible with his devotional book, Nicolas listens to his Bible on tape, and I read my Bible - then prayers for all of us.


The next 20 minutes the boys each listen to learning CDs they got for Christmas - Alex listens to his States and Capitals CD and Nicolas listens to his math Addition and Subtraction CD while they play quietly building with Legos or blocks, or coloring.  They are not allowed to talk to each other until the time is up.


It was an experiment today to see if the boys could do this without talking to each other.  If you know our house, the boys have the entire upstairs to themselves and have no doors on their rooms.  They can each look into each other's room without hardly trying.  I told them if they have trouble keeping quiet and looking at what the other is doing, I would have to make curtains to hang.  It won't keep out the noise, but may give them each more privacy.


I'm hoping each day, the boys will enjoy having time to themselves and it will help with their arguing during the remainder of the day.  They each need time to themselves since they are together all the time.  We would like this time to develop into something they can each do away from the house, but for now, we will have to work with this.


 

1 comment:

  1. We implemented a independent Bible reading time, too (started two weeks ago). I think I'm even going to have Simon come to the table and color a Bible picture (or something!).


    It's the most important part of homeschooling! Stay consistent, friend! :-)

    ReplyDelete