Monday, January 11, 2010

Poetry - 4

Poems of Sound using alliteration, onomatopoeia and nonsense words.  Nonsense words are also caled Portmanteau, which is combining two different words to make a new word (such as brunch).  The poem "Jabberwocky" by Lewis Carroll illustrates this concept well.  The boys were to make up two portmanteau words.  Nicolas came up with "Wiimote" (Wii and remote) and "cog" (cat and dog.)  Alex came up with "lupper" (lunch and supper), and "jurun" (jump and run.)


We also read, Fishes Evening Song by Dahlov Ipcar which used onomatopeia and Sea Shell by Amy Lowell showing alliteration (which Nicolas copied for his writing.)


Our favorite was:


Eletelephony by Laura Richards


Once there was an elephant,
Who tried to use the telephant-
No! No! I mean an elephone
Who tried to use the telephone-
(Dear me! I am not certain quite
That even now I've got it right.)


Howe'er it was, he got his trunk
Entangled in the telephunk;
The more he tried to get it free,
The louder buzzed the telephee-
(I fear I'd better drop the song
Of elephop and telephong!!)


So, Alex tried his hand at writing a nonsense poem:


About to have lupper,
With my brother,
Then I will go jurun
Like Atilla the Hun.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment