Thursday, December 11, 2008

Gingerbread houses

So we finally started our gingerbread houses today.  Instead of the Royal icing that has been recommended as the best thing to use - I mixed a very stiff powdered sugar and milk icing.  It has worked well.  The main reason was that the boys wanted to be able to eat their houses later and I didn't want to make another trip to the store to get the egg white substitute.  We used graham crackers instead of making gingerbread.  I'm not sure what would've been better - most of our graham crackers were broken in one box and about 1/2 in the other box.  VERY FRUSTRATING!


We were able to get the walls built and that houses put up today.  We plan to decorate them tomorrow.  With other schoolwork and my dentist appointment today, we have not been able to get any further today.  Nicolas is not all that interested in it yet.  Hopefully the decorating will be more fun for him.  Not sure this will be something they will want to do again for awhile - we'll see.




Here is Alex getting his house put together.  I ended up doing Nicolas's for him - so no pictures.  I have also made one for myself that I will wait and show a picture of later.


1 comment:

  1. I can't wait to see the finished pictures!!! :-) I think Nicolas will be very excited once you pull the candy out.


    We made gingerbread men, but the boys ate them up before I made frosting! Sheesh! We are going to try to make gingerbread names later (maybe next week). :-)

    ReplyDelete